USB Hard Drive Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
jo15765
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 19:55    Post subject: USB Hard Drive Issues Reply with quote
It shows as unmounted for about 4 seconds then dissapears. This drive is formatted to NTFS (I believe it is, I use it to backup pictures, music from my Win 7 machine). What do I need to do to mount it to my WNDR4300 router so that it can be shared?

Am I just missing a mount script?

EDIT --
After about 10 minutes this is now what it shows:
Code:

--- /dev/sda
Block device, size 596.2 GiB (640135028224 bytes)
Status: Not mounted - Unsupported file system or disk not formated
Status: Not mounted - Unsupported file system or disk not formated
Sponsor
g17jimmy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Linux cannot mount NTFS natively. You will need to use FAT32 (doesn't support files over 2GB) or EXT3/EXT4.
jo15765
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please forgive my uneducated self here....would FAT32 be supported for both Windows & Linux machines?

So if I format the drive to FAT32, I will be able to access it from my router as well as my Windows laptop?
g17jimmy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Linux and windows can write to a FAT32 file system.

***BUT***

If you are only using the USB drive connected to the DD-WRT system (linux) and sharing that to other systems, all devices that can access the share can write to it even if it's formatted EXT3/EXT4. The drive isn't presented to systems accessing the share by its underlying file system format, but as a SMB/CIFS share.
jo15765
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alrite, ya lost me with the above. So should I not format it as NTFS?

I understand that all users will have write access (it will only be myself and 2 other users on my home network). Not sure what you meant about SMB/CIFS share
g17jimmy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use NTFS, dd-wrt will not be able to mount it. Whatever FS you use must be readable/writable to dd-wrt. FAT32 fits that description, as does EXT2/EXT3/EXT4, and once mounted to dd-wrt it doesn't matter what the format of the file system is, your windows systems will just access it like any other file share.

dd-wrt doesn't have a way to format/partition the disk. The easiest way to get the disk attached and shared is to format FAT32, configure your router to auto-mount and it should appear straight away. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage

But, FAT32 has limitations that may affect you, file size limitation is the one that I have the most trouble with.

If you want to be able to get around that, follow this tutorial to format using a linux native file system. This tutorial indicates to use EXT2 for flash memory drives(non-magnetic media,) but I've used EXT3/EXT4 on flash drives for years and haven't had a problem yet. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_-_Format_and_Partition_External_Storage_Device
ganon11000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT SUPPORTS NTFS.
Just that ... The misinformation was painful.
g17jimmy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
oops, sorry for the bad info. My old dd-wrt router(old firmware and old hardware) did not support NTFS. I had not looked into the newer version support for NTFS.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: