Disabling Regulatory Domain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
cpellerano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 19:51    Post subject: Disabling Regulatory Domain Reply with quote
No matter what I do i cant get my TX setting above 16dbm. I can get more distance with my WRT54GL at 71mw thatn my WRT160NL with N at 16dbm
Sponsor
prostheticconscience
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
16 dBm is 40 milliwatts (roughly). The rf amp might not go any higher on that unit.
cpellerano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
changing the regulatory domain increases or decreases TX power setting, so im sure it is a software limitation. If regulatory domain cannot be disabled which country is the most flezible ?
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
instead read your hw specs! i bet its not a sw problem!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
cpellerano wrote:
changing the regulatory domain increases or decreases TX power setting, so im sure it is a software limitation. If regulatory domain cannot be disabled which country is the most flezible ?

Did you ever get this figured out, or find out where to set the regulatory domain to get the most flexibility? I'm dealing with the same issue, and it can be very difficult to get a useful answer to a simple question in these forums.
backwoodsman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've found the Regulatory Domain database. There must be at least several people here who have this info but for some reason have chosen not to share it, despite repeated requests for it in the forums over a long period of time.

If I'm interpreting the file correctly, most countries' TX power limit on 2.4gHz is 100mw/20dBm, and the US is one of the higher ones at 512mw/27dBm. The highest I noticed are Bolivia, Belize, New Zealand, and Venezuela at 1w/30dBm.

The file db.txt is generated dynamically at:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-regdb.git;a=blob;f=db.txt;hb=HEAD

I hope this helps someone. At the moment it's not any practical help to me, as my Trendnet router still refuses to go above 12dBm, and so far no one (of, again, no doubt several who know the answer) has so far offered any advice. I've participated on quite a few tech-related forums over the years, and one expects the occasional difficult individual here and there, but this is undoubtedly the hardest and most frustrating one to squeeze a useful answer out of. It's really strange that there are so many people here who have the answers to questions that are asked, but are too vindictive, or touchy, or condescending, or passive-aggresive, or who knows what, to help those with less knowledge. It just makes no sense, and it creates an unnecessary barrier for some who would like to use DD-WRT, but don't have the time or ability to figure everything out on their own.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Canada has a max of 1W, 36dBm.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

backwoodsman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
Canada has a max of 1W, 36dBm.

1W is 30dBm, not 36.

The above linked database (again, if I'm interpreting it correctly) says Canada's max is 30dBm at 5735-5835 mHz. At 2.4gHz, which is what most here are concerned with, it's 27dBm/500mW. All the numbers I quoted above are at 2.4gHz.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
i hate to repeat myself but as is state read you hw specs! if the amp cant do more your out of luck. so buy better hw!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
i hate to repeat myself but as is state read you hw specs! if the amp cant do more your out of luck. so buy better hw!

OK, so this is an old thread, but still valid.
Assuming we have now read our HW spec and have a high spec transmitter inside our equipment, what is the best regulatory domain to set to help with range?

I know for sure power IN NOT everything. I am just wondering if the SW gives more flexibility too allow greater range in one domain than the others?
backwoodsman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
npaisnel wrote:
Assuming we have now read our HW spec and have a high spec transmitter inside our equipment, what is the best regulatory domain to set to help with range?

It doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't think it does anything except limit max transmit power, which doesn't matter for most routers because they can't exceed the limits anyway.

I don't know what kind of range or throughput you need, but ACK timing is the one thing that will drastically affect throughput when you go far enough. If memory serves, with ACK timing set too low, at 2 miles you'll get around 800 Kbit throughput, higher at shorter ranges and lower at longer ranges. Atheros chipsets set ACK timing automatically if you set it to 0 (unless that's changed for new designs in the last 3-4 years that I don't know about), which makes it easy. If you have to set it manually, figure the distance in meters, and add 10%-20%; it's not critical as long as it's not too low.
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, good to know.

I don't have great distance, 600 meters a most.

I did all this a few years ago, but only had one dd-wrt firmware router.

I now have two atheros, DIR 300's

have them on the bench here now trying to get them to acts as a bridge.

No matter how many times I go through the Client Bridge setup, i can get it to work.

One in AP mode one in CB mode, I did have the second router seeing the AP..but now after a few settings changes to get the DHCP working at the far end, then wireless no longer works Sad

god how I hate networks
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
stop using client bridge, u have to atheros routers use wds, put one to wds ap & the other to wds station, thats it.

for the canada reg domain i was referring to eirp max, yes tx max is 30dbm which is tied with usa, but for 5ghz canada has again the same tx power as usa but with a lot more channels (dfs channels are legal in usa but not listed for whatever reason)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

backwoodsman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
npaisnel wrote:
have them on the bench here now trying to get them to acts as a bridge.

No matter how many times I go through the Client Bridge setup, i can get it to work.

I would forget bridge mode and just use Client mode. Leave the first on AP and set the second to Client.

If you're connected to the Client router wirelessly, don't forget to set up a virtual access point before setting Client mode, or you'll have to plug in a wire to get back into it.
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
backwoodsman wrote:

I would forget bridge mode and just use Client mode. Leave the first on AP and set the second to Client.

If you're connected to the Client router wirelessly, don't forget to set up a virtual access point before setting Client mode, or you'll have to plug in a wire to get back into it.

Funny how our 'milage varies. I have only had success with with Repeater or Repeater bridge mode. The far end router is a box in the attic, hard wired to a WiFi access point in the workshop.

"Problem" with the old "system" was that the AP router was a bog standard router that could not take dd-wrt or external antennas, so even my modest connection of 600 meters was dropping out.

The whole setup is a 4 router system.
1 The incoming broadband home connection, acting as the DHCP router not dd-wrt
2, one end of the bridge hard wired up at the top of the house, not dd-wrt DHCP Forwarder
3 Other end of the bridge across the fields to the workshop attic, is dd-wrt DHCP Forwarder
4 hard wired to wifi access point Small Belkin in AP mode. not dd-wrt

I wanted to replace the routers 2 & 3 with a pair of DIR 300's since I have 4 of them, with dd-wrt firmware and external antennas .

Original system had far end router (Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt) in Repeater Bridge mode working perfectly

Was trying over the weekend to get it working on the bench. with any pair of the DIR-300's

Two 14 hour days later, still no joy.

I got real angry last night, at the end of the second 14 hour day,. I thumped the test laptop in annoyance. It is was an old Win XP machine . Like Win XP as it is nice and easy to get networking with a mix of Mac and Linux boxes, unlike the abortion that is Win7 or 8.

Well then the laptop would not start Sad I then made sure non of it would not upset me again, by, in a rage, folding it backwards over my knee and ripping the screen off then beating a router to death with the remnants of the screen. Twisted Evil
Most satisfying

So for now I am going to admit defeat and realise that dd-wrt and a pair of DIR-300's wont work and put the system back together without external antennas and dd-wrt.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: