Weird DNS only issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tdiguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:57    Post subject: Weird DNS only issue. Reply with quote
My router information is as follows:
Router Model Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/20/15) std - build 25974
Kernel Version Linux 3.10.65 #7130 Tue Jan 20 04:23:36 CET 2015 mips

I seem to have a daily issue with the router and DNS. It seems to only be a dns issue because when i start experiencing this problem i can still ping and reach sites by ip address. Normally this is resolved by rebooting the router.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I happen to like this firmware version because most of the things i use work properly. ( like the pptp vpn open vpn server, ext2 NAS )
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update to something newer, see FTP links in my signature.
tdiguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just upgraded to the firmware posted on 7/6 and I still experience this problem daily. A reboot of the router corrects it. I am going to have the router do scheduled daily reboots and see of that helps.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the "weird issue" ? You haven't actually described it. And latest build is 27506, upgrade to that.
tdiguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seem to have a daily issue with the router and DNS. It seems to only be a dns issue because when i start experiencing this problem i can still ping and reach sites by ip address. Normally this is resolved by rebooting the router.

Its as if DNS simply stops working. I can reach sites by IP but not URL. If i do a nslookup i get nothing. If i ping by name nothing, ping by ip and i have connectivity. If i specify a server by doing nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8 it still does not work. I have preformed these commands from the router so the OS on the computer is not an issue.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are your DNSMasq settings ? Anything different than the Defaults ?
Did you do a Restore to Factory Defaults and manually reconfigure DD-WRT ? You should.

tdiguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
What are your DNSMasq settings ? Anything different than the Defaults ?
Did you do a Restore to Factory Defaults and manually reconfigure DD-WRT ? You should.

These are my dnsmasq settings: There is nothing in the additional settings area.
I restored settings from a backup.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those are not the default DNSMasq values (the defaults are: 1st, 3rd, 4th setting enabled; 2nd and 5th disabled). Anyway, you shouldn't restore from a backup made with an older DD-WRT version.

Go to Administration - Restore Factory Defaults and then reconfigure everything manually. Do not restore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: