Noob: Can connect to router, but not internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jhanna1701
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 17:13    Post subject: Noob: Can connect to router, but not internet Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm a noob to dd-wrt. I bought a pre-flashed router from ebay. I am able to connect to the router wirelessly, via two different PC's. However, I cannot get to the internet.

My setup is the following:

Linksys WRT54G-TM
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mega
Comcast digital cable
modem: RCA by Thomson model DCM425

Please help, as I've got to get this working before Thursday as I need it for work. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go buy a new router and just use as is.

thanks,

Jamie
Sponsor
Xxsean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
shit iam on the same boat but cant get any help here.
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xxsean wrote:

comments like that are not helpful...

as to some help... I don't know cable modems work the same way everywhere, but i am on cable in the UK and here when you change the computer or in this case router connected to the modem you need to unplug the modem for 5mins to let it "forget" the previous MAC address. maybe this could help for you?
contrive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 19:09    Post subject: Re: Noob: Can connect to router, but not internet Reply with quote
jhanna1701 wrote:
Hi,

I'm a noob to dd-wrt. I bought a pre-flashed router from ebay. I am able to connect to the router wirelessly, via two different PC's. However, I cannot get to the internet.

Linksys WRT54G-TM
Comcast digital cable

Please help, as I've got to get this working before Thursday as I need it for work. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go buy a new router and just use as is.

thanks,

Jamie

Did you pay your bill?
Is the internet light on the modem solid?

If not, check the cable and/or call your isp.

If so, you will have to go into the web interface by typing http://192.168.1.1 Note that you may need to use a direct ethernet wire and not wireless in order to log on.

user:root
pass:admin

There are tons of options that could be causing your problem but in most cases, the default settings are correct enough to get you going. Start on the main setup page and make sure its set to auto dhcp. Next, skip all of the optional setting and scroll down to network setup. Here, the local ip should be 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 The gateway may need to be filled in by you. This is where you put the address of your cable modem. In most cases, its 192.168.1.254 but you may need to contact your isp to get the correct address. The local dns can be left blank.

The ddwrt wiki is fuuullll of info to get you started. Check there as well.
Xxsean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
gobbledigook wrote:
Xxsean wrote:

comments like that are not helpful...

as to some help... I don't know cable modems work the same way everywhere, but i am on cable in the UK and here when you change the computer or in this case router connected to the modem you need to unplug the modem for 5mins to let it "forget" the previous MAC address. maybe this could help for you?

many thanks for the advice it works for me Smile I cant believe it was that simple lol.
jhanna1701
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:20    Post subject: Re: Noob: Can connect to router, but not internet Reply with quote
contrive wrote:
jhanna1701 wrote:
Hi,

Linksys WRT54G-TM
Comcast digital cable

thanks,

Jamie

Did you pay your bill?
Is the internet light on the modem solid?

If not, check the cable and/or call your isp.

If so, you will have to go into the web interface by typing http://192.168.1.1 Note that you may need to use a direct ethernet wire and not wireless in order to log on.

user:root
pass:admin

There are tons of options that could be causing your problem but in most cases, the default settings are correct enough to get you going. Start on the main setup page and make sure its set to auto dhcp. Next, skip all of the optional setting and scroll down to network setup. Here, the local ip should be 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 The gateway may need to be filled in by you. This is where you put the address of your cable modem. In most cases, its 192.168.1.254 but you may need to contact your isp to get the correct address. The local dns can be left blank.

The ddwrt wiki is fuuullll of info to get you started. Check there as well.

I should add that I am able to reach the internet if I plug in directly from the modem. I've tried all of the above, but still no luck.
SIRich
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Restore defaults on router,Unplug power on modem and router, remove lan cord from router to computer, keep router lan conected to modem. Plug modem in wait 1 minute, plug router in wait 1 minute, plug lan cord from computer into router, then try to get online.
Windows XP Pro
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
sometime ISP cable have mac allowed system more persistent, so you could use the mac clone section of your dd-wrt device to copy the mac address of your allowed pc to the wan mac field. so this solv your trouble without unpluggin anything but the ethernet cable linking your modem and pc to plug it into the dd-wrt wan port.
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
Starcrasher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cable modems with phone line out have batteries as well. Make sure all LED's go out after you unplug the cable modem. If they stay on pull the battery as well.
Linksys WRT610N V1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/07/09) big - build 13401M NEWD-2 Eko
Asus WL-500W DD-WRT V24-13575 NEWD-2 K2.6
Asus RT-N16 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) big - build 13575M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

Own as well but not used:
2x Asus WL-520GU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: