Help!!! Asus WL-500gp V2 went mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
barbosini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49    Post subject: Help!!! Asus WL-500gp V2 went mad Reply with quote
Hello everybody,

I need help!
I have a Asus WL-500gp V2 router with DD-WRT V24sp2.
A couple of days ago I needed to reboot it and it snaped. Since then I can't access it via web Gui, I can't even ping it. I ran ipconfig on my desktop PC and the IP is nothing similar to 192.168.1.x.
I tried to re-flash DD-WRT. The flash operation was successful (apparently) but did not fixed the problem.

How can I fix this? Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance
barbosini
Sponsor
xReaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, try to change power supply, mine died after 2 years.
barbosini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
xReaper wrote:
Hello, try to change power supply, mine died after 2 years.

Hello xReaper,

Can it be from the power supply?!
I bought the router 6 months ago.
But I will try it. At this point, I will try anything, even hit it with a hammer Wink

Thanks for the tip.
gruenesAlien
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Download asus firmware restoration tool from their webpage or install it from cd. Set a manual IP address to 192.168.1.2 and gateway to 192.168.1.1.

Power cycle router and hold reset while plug in power cord. Power light should blink now. Not you can flash firmware with asus tool.

If that does not work leave router 3+ hours without power. Then plug power cable in while pressing reset button and flash firmware.
barbosini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
gruenesAlien wrote:
Download asus firmware restoration tool from their webpage or install it from cd. Set a manual IP address to 192.168.1.2 and gateway to 192.168.1.1.

Power cycle router and hold reset while plug in power cord. Power light should blink now. Not you can flash firmware with asus tool.

If that does not work leave router 3+ hours without power. Then plug power cable in while pressing reset button and flash firmware.

Hello gruenesAlien,

Thanks a lot for your tip but it didn't work.
I left the router a whole day without power and then flashed the firmware using the method you suggested but, although the flashing was successful as before, the router is still not working.
I noticed something, though, after the flashing. The AIR led is constinuasly flashing. It stays on for a few seconds, then goes off for 2 seconds and then goes on again... Can this mean something, like the router is locked in a loop?

Thanks once again
Barbosini
barbosini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everybody,

I'm stuck! I really need help solving this problem.
I don't want to replace a 6 months old router.
The router was running dd-wrt V24sp2 when it snapped.
Is possible to clear its nvram?
Can anyone help me? Please?

barbosini
gruenesAlien
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can try weather it responds to ping initially.
You can add a serial console to see what's wrong.

There's no jtag.

You can use the pin9 shortage trick, although that will likely to damage your router slightly.

Did you tried to flash asus firmware?

You can try to send it in and claim it's warranty.
barbosini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
gruenesAlien wrote:
You can try weather it responds to ping initially.
You can add a serial console to see what's wrong.

There's no jtag.

You can use the pin9 shortage trick, although that will likely to damage your router slightly.

Did you tried to flash asus firmware?

You can try to send it in and claim it's warranty.

Hi gruenesAlien.

The router doesn't respond to the ping command.
I've already came across that pin9 trick, during my several google searches, but I'm reluctant to do it because I don't want to damage the router (although hitting it with a hammer as already crossed my mind).

I tried to flash the latest asus firmware without success. The flashing was successful but the router stayed "dead".

Yes, I could try send back and claim it's warranty. But there a couple of issues that may cause a problem:
1st: When it was working, I flashed it with DD-WRT, just to find out later that impossible to remove it. I don't known if this can affect the warranty.
2nd: The online store where I bought isn't very trustworthy. For example, they took almost a month to send me the router. And they ignored all my mails in the process.

I've read somewhere that it can be a power supply issue. I will buy a new power supply today and see if it solves it.

Thanks for all your help.
barbosini
gruenesAlien
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
With respond to pings I meant:

configure your computer with static IP adress.
on windows issue
Code:
ping -t 192.168.1.1

on linux
Code:
ping 192.168.1.1

both will result in constants ping sent. Then plug power and hope to get at least one ping through.
barbosini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
gruenesAlien wrote:
With respond to pings I meant:

configure your computer with static IP adress.
on windows issue
Code:
ping -t 192.168.1.1

on linux
Code:
ping 192.168.1.1

both will result in constants ping sent. Then plug power and hope to get at least one ping through.

Hi gruenesAlien

First of all, thanks a lot for all help.
If I configure my computer with static IP address I can ping the router. I always could.
I can even flash it with firmware (apparently). The only thing I can't do is access the router's through it's web GUI.
The problem is when I set my computer to get the IP automatically. That's when the sh** hits the fan. The network is not recognized by the computer and it's IP is something wild.
And worst of all I can't claim it's warranty because I flashed it with other firmware (I such a idiot).

I am this close to give up trying to fix it.

barbosini
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
See my signature and also the networking for dummies thread. Link is in the "retired stickies" sticky.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
What happens when you do a hard reset on it....can you access it then at the 192.168.1.1 address.

Also, try clearing your browser cache/cookies or another browser. Sometimes the "errors" will stick in cache and when you try to access the page again...it gets the bad page from cache instead of polling the router.

And as ReadtheAnnouncements! said...read the announcements at the top of this forum....you might find something to help you along.

So...what FW are you loading to it?

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having this same problem right now. Everything but Static DHCP seems to be working. I've tried several builds & 30-30-30 resets. All to the same result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: