Hard to Flash? DD-WRT Store's Shipping is too $$$

duomenox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25    Post subject: Hard to Flash? DD-WRT Store's Shipping is too $$$ Reply with quote
I just ordered one Engenius EOC-2610 unit from Tiger Direct.

Is it hard to flash? Do I have to jump through hoops to get DD-WRT onto it, or will it play nicely?

I wanted to get it from the DD-WRT store, but Shipping was $150... not including the price of the AP!!!

I know it's international shipping, but the box is around 2 lbs and there is no possible way it could cost that much to ship it over here!

I just got a UMPC from MobileX in Hungary and it only cost me $75 to ship... it got here in 2 days! it was way heavier and bigger!

Please look into the shipping issues at the store!

Oh, and if anyone has flashed this device before, or has any idea's on how easy/difficult it is, please let me know ;-)

Sorry about the rant, I wanted to support the project by using the online store, but it is just cost prohibitive to do so.

Thank you.

hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
the shipping from germany to usa for one eoc-2610 costs around 14 euro with the german postal service as registered letter shipment (very limited tracking, 40 usd insurance) , shipping takes 5-10 workdays ... ask them , if they can ship as "deutsche post, Einschreiben " Wink, with fedex international priority its about 40-50 euro depending on your fedex contract

i am not sure where you are located, within europe its about 16 euro for insured shipment up to 225 euro as "wertbrief international"- shipment with german postal service (not DHL!!) to most countries of the european union .
duomenox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone give me some pointers on flashing the EOC-2610?

I tried the instructions in the download folder and they do not work. Looks like 192.168.1.11 might not the right IP address to telnet to.

Could they have changed the IP for redboot? I've seen redboot described as being on 192.168.0.1 port 22 in other documentation... any ideas?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update,

After looking at it a few hundred times... building a small script in AutoIT to try telnet every 250ms for 15 seconds, and not getting ping responses back from 192.168.1.10 during the boot process... I've determined that either the documentation in the downloads directory is wrong, or the settings have been changed.

I popped open the unit, there is a header that consists of a row of six pins. anyone have an idea on how to build a jtag connector for this one?

Could really use the help, was going to install this AP with DD-WRT on it at my parent's place when I visit next week.

Thanks again.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
its 192.168.1.1

and some devices i found have not even a ip configured (senao is right now trying to fix this)
attached is the official flashing document for dd-wrt made by senao

for flashing units with a zero ip i have sended senao a special dirty flashing way. so contact senao directly about this. they will help you. i'm not allowed yet to publish this way since it uses a backdoor in the original firmware to gain telnet access. senao is a dd-wrt supporting company, so dont bother, just contact them

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.
I tried 192.168.1.1 last night, didn't work for me.

I just put in a support ticket with Senao... I'm not used to companies supporting the use of DD-WRT yet ;-)

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I find out (unless it's the backdoor method, then I will just tell what I am allowed to) Wink

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not too happy with Engenius support so far...

Talked to support twice today, they have no idea what DD-WRT is, and do not have any information about redboot.

I was asked to email support, again, in both calls.

So far, I've emailed 3 times, once yesterday, twice today, and made 2 phone calls to them... still no idea what is going on.

Just venting to the group. I really needed to get these installed today, my boss is going to be a bit unhappy ;-)

Anywho, I'll buy an activation as soon as I can get it on there, I'll update you with any additional information that comes my way.

Thanks again.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally got a call back.

As of right now, there is not any support for accessing the bootloader according to the higher level techs.

They asked me a ton of questions on why I want DD-WRT on there, they wanted to know what features are missing from their firmware. Then they said that they would call their engineer and see if they can help me access the bootloader.

I doubt that I will get anywhere with this. While the guys on the phone were nice, they didn't really seem to care about what I wanted, just why I wanted to do it. They kept trying to tell me that I could do certain features with their firmware, and wanted to help me use their firmware instead.

So, while the EOC-2610 is supported by DD-WRT, it looks like I cannot get DD-WRT on it.

Too bad, this unit had potential.

I'll update you guys if I get any calls back, but it's like pulling teeth and I'm not hopeful that I will be able to get it done.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
i will forward this thread to the senao bosses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
by the way. here the trick to flash it without reboot

login to your senao device with telnet (i believe login is admin/admin, but could be different)

then copy http://www.dd-wrt.com/newimage.bin to a local webserver on your computer (apache or iis)

now do the following in your telnet console

cd /tmp
wget http://ipofyourcomputer/newimage.bin
cat newimage.bin > /tmp/mtdblock0

do not interrupt any of these commands even if the cat will take a long time. this image will overwrite the whole flash content including the redboot config. so redboot is accessible on 192.168.1.1 after. additionally dd-wrt will then be already flashed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your help.

I received a phone call from Roger with Engenius today and then an email with the exact same procedure you outlined in the post.

It worked flawlessly, so thank you.

I'm more impressed with Engenius support, they got back to me on a Sunday, and we were able to get everything installed and ready to go.

Thanks again, looks like a great unit.. I'd be ecstatic if they came out with a Wireless N version with MIMO and both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios! With such a small and compact form-factor, that would be a phenomenal product, especially for a P2P wireless N bridge.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
duomenox wrote:

Thanks again, looks like a great unit.. I'd be ecstatic if they came out with a Wireless N version with MIMO and both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios!

this is not possible with the integrated antennas at this size

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@sash. i dont want to correct you but i believe that senao is working on such a device. but i dont trust in 802.11n technology

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
i still think its not possible to have mimo with >=2 antenna in 2,4 and 5 ghz in the same housing at this size.
the only way they might do it will be with dual band antennas and from my point of few this will be bullshit.

update:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/EOC-2610

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: