WNDR3800: Slow wireless speeds. LAN is fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
sirchuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 15:59    Post subject: WNDR3800: Slow wireless speeds. LAN is fine. Reply with quote
Hello all,

I recently flashed my WNDR3800 to r206750. Everything seems to be up and running fine with the exception of the wireless.

Symptoms:

1)Weak signal one floor below the router which leads to frequent disconnects. This wasn't an issue with stock or OpenWRT firmwares. Normally I get good wireless reception all throughout the house, including the front and back yards. I've boosted the TX power to where it was in other firmwares (27db) and that didn't appear to make much of a difference. I suppose I could take it higher, but I'm concerned that I may fry my router.

2)Download speeds are extremely slow over wireless.

I have a 50 Mbps connection running into my house. I get, at best maybe 13 Mbps down wireless to my PC sitting about 10 feet away. But even that isn't reliable. Normally, it tops out in the 10Mb range. Download speeds over LAN are normal. Upload speeds are fine as well.

To remedy this, I've tried all kinds of different configurations. Setting the network mode to NG-Mixed, G-Only, "turbo", dynamic (20/40hz)...and nothing.

Dropped the firewall and rebooted. No difference.

To avoid outside interference, I switched to using channel 8. No other routers in the neighborhood are on this channel (confirmed by site survey). Just for kicks, I tried 6 and 11 too. No difference. And last but not not least, I've tried playing with the ACK timing. From 0 (auto), 100, 200, 225, 250, 500, and everywhere between 2,000. Still no luck.

So, at this point I feel stuck. I have been googling and reading through the DD-WRT wiki's virtually non-stop for two days and nothing seems to be working for me.

Suggestions?

Last edited by sirchuck on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
1st check

wiki: atheros wireless

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
1st check

wiki: atheros wireless

I followed the guide here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

And I tried a few suggestions I saw in other posts. Nothing seems to be making a difference. In the screens you can see my config as well as the site survey.

Again, I'm currently on channel 8 so I don't think that's an issue.

Last edited by sirchuck on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:19; edited 1 time in total
sirchuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just for kicks I tested the speeds using 5GHz. It's even worse! I can't even crack 3 Mbps down.

Something is seriously wrong here...
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
With settings like that no you didnt follow the guide.. anyway try 20MHz.. in a wifi clusterfuck area like that i wouldnt be surprised the performance is garbage.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

sirchuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
With settings like that no you didnt follow the guide.. anyway try 20MHz.. in a wifi clusterfuck area like that i wouldnt be surprised the performance is garbage.

I'm looking at the guide now (again) and I don't see what I'm missing. The screenshot (obviously) reflects what I had set at that time. However, I did say in my first post that I've tried all of these options in various combinations (including 20Mhz G-Only mode) and they have no effect.

Again, my speeds were normal with the stock firmware and easily exceed 30Mbps with OpenWRT.

"Clusterfuck" or no, it is clear that there is a big drop off in DD-WRT.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same radios/radio drivers in WNDR3700 v1/v2 as WNDR3800, my wireless is fine near same as stock. Have you tried regulatory domain if so what ones besides USA? Atheros units can't fry their radios, even at 100dBm tx power the radio will cap at it's max for X regulatory domain, unlike Broadom units that will force tx power to whatever you select so high they're performance will literately jitter & start dropping, Atheros don't do that. What is the max tx power DD-WRT is reporting for both bands? Use HT20 for now. Oh & ACK timing won't do anything for signal clarity for your situation when all clients are well within max distance, the lowest setting (450m) or 0 is best for absolute max throughput. Short preamble also gives a slight boost.

Also do you know the wifi chips used in the client devices? As well as what is the noise value on the wireless status page as the devices sweat to hold connection? Ignore noise on site survey, i think its broken there.

Another also, try fully disabling protection mode CTS/RTS/threshold if you havnt already.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mazey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it legal to use another regulatory domain i really wanna use USA but im in Australia, you get that 3db extra, is there anyway for other people to tell what you are on and report you? we have kinda strict laws here it wouldnt suprise me lol. id still be using a channel that is allowed here.
sirchuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
Same radios/radio drivers in WNDR3700 v1/v2 as WNDR3800, my wireless is fine near same as stock. Have you tried regulatory domain if so what ones besides USA? Atheros units can't fry their radios, even at 100dBm tx power the radio will cap at it's max for X regulatory domain, unlike Broadom units that will force tx power to whatever you select so high they're performance will literately jitter & start dropping, Atheros don't do that. What is the max tx power DD-WRT is reporting for both bands? Use HT20 for now. Oh & ACK timing won't do anything for signal clarity for your situation when all clients are well within max distance, the lowest setting (450m) or 0 is best for absolute max throughput. Short preamble also gives a slight boost.

Also do you know the wifi chips used in the client devices? As well as what is the noise value on the wireless status page as the devices sweat to hold connection? Ignore noise on site survey, i think its broken there.

Another also, try fully disabling protection mode CTS/RTS/threshold if you havnt already.

By HT20 I assume you mean 20MHz?

DD-WRT is showing the TX power as 27db, which is what I have it set to. I am able to change the regulatory domain from the U.S. (where I live) to a different country. I did change it to Canada just to see what would happen and still no change in d/l speeds. Regarding the clients, right now it's just my computer and a few mobile devices connected (two iPhones and an iPad). The bottom entry you see in the second screen shot is my iMac, which is maybe ten feet away (with line of sight) from the router. It uses a Broadcom wireless card.

You are correct that unless I am in the same room with the router, clients seem to struggle to hold a connection. If I go downstairs to the living room -- mind you my house isn't very large (maybe 900 sq. ft -- the signal drops. In any case, I've attached screens of my current settings.

Thank you guys for your help so far.
alexwhittemore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
sirchuck, did you ever figure anything out? I just picked up a WNDR4300 (very similar hardware) and can't seem to get wifi performance in excess of 25mbit in either direction. It's pretty incredibly crappy.

Edit: under virtually all settings with DD-WRT, my mac reported PHY mode: 802.11a for the connection. Flashed back to stock firmware, it's reporting N and performance is full speed as I'd expect.
sirchuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the late response -- I don't check this email much.

Unfortunately, no I was not able to get anywhere with the WNDR 3800 so I ended up giving it away to a friend. I suspect the issue I was having was a mix between the unit having poor/defective radios to begin with (there's posts about around online), and something with DD-WRT.

I've tested DD-WRT on my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and got similar (poor) throughput over wireless (works fine otherwise). If you search around these forums, I'm sure you will find that this is hardly a unique problem.

Personally, I ended up reverting back to Gargoyle (based on OpenWRT). The interface isn't as pretty as DD-WRT, but it's stable and works really well. If you can't get DD-WRT to go, give that a shot.

Hopefully this helps.
alexwhittemore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
OpenWRT is the ticket (I believe it'll solve this PHY mode/speed problem as well as another functionality issue I've got), but sadly it doesn't support the wndr3700v4/wndr4300 yet Sad

For now I'm on stock firmware, hoping openwrt gets figured out soon.
pought
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 18:37    Post subject: same problem except slower Reply with quote
my wndr 3800 was working fine wireless and all that internet speed was good I did a reset and a hrad reset to see if its make destiny work on the same network and now all my wireless internet is slower than shit cant watch videos or nothing cant watch instagram videos on my phone. AND IT WAS ALL FINE BEFORE I HARD resetted I shoulda never resetted my modem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: