So what is ACTUALLY different between Kong and BS Builds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
danne2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 20:42    Post subject: So what is ACTUALLY different between Kong and BS Builds? Reply with quote
I've been trying to find any form of post/article explaining the actual differences between Kong and BS builds as of 2016, but I haven't been able to find any up to date information.

I've found that in earlier versions, there were significant differences but many of them mention that since Kong joined the DD-WRT team/the branches were merged/etc this is no longer the case.

So my question is what is ACTUALLY different between the two? Is there anything significant or is it just who built it (and the commit it was built at)? Please don't say what you "think" is different if you're not sure it still applies. I'm just looking for an answer not full of speculation and misinformation Smile
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/Readme.txt

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes other feature set e.g. Netgear R7000 kong excluded TOR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/Readme.txt
Pretty much sums it up...
WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't forget Kong's build Syslogd tab Very Happy it makes a biiig difference! Very Happy (BS should include it, otherwise you have to save a bookmark with the link Sad )
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
giuliomagnifico wrote:
Don't forget Kong's build Syslogd tab Very Happy it makes a biiig difference! Very Happy (BS should include it, otherwise you have to save a bookmark with the link Sad )

syslog TAB..? when i ran kong builds i never had this, it was under the regular services tab near bottom

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Under the services tab there is the option to enable the Syslog but under the Status tab there is a tab with the log, you don't have to enter manually 193.168.1.1/Syslogd.asp.

Now I'm out of home and I can't make s screenshot but there is on my R7000.
smapdi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is one other thing that hasn't been mentioned, Kong is a bit...unstable (maybe too harsh of a term) as a developer. He's quit at least a couple of times that I can remember and did it in a rather jerk-ish way (think of a kid saying "I'm taking my toys and going home!").

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate the time and effort he's put into the project but childish antics aren't exactly comforting.

I prefer a more predictable source of pre-compiled firmware which is why I've stuck to BS builds since late 2014.
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
smapdi wrote:
There is one other thing that hasn't been mentioned, Kong is a bit...unstable (maybe too harsh of a term) as a developer. He's quit at least a couple of times that I can remember and did it in a rather jerk-ish way (think of a kid saying "I'm taking my toys and going home!").

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate the time and effort he's put into the project but childish antics aren't exactly comforting.

I prefer a more predictable source of pre-compiled firmware which is why I've stuck to BS builds since late 2014.

Well, there's always the option of compiling the firmware yourself. Let everyone know when you have the equipment setup to do so, and people can start sending you the laundry list of stuff they want included or fixed that's broken.

Personally, I feel like Kong has given great support, and taken the comments from critics and fans alike in great stride--even with a personal life with family, job etc. on top of developing for DD-WRT.

It seems like lots of people want to complain, but I've yet to see someone step up and show leadership to work with BS and/or Kong to improve the things they have grievances with. I understand that you have your opinion(s), just as I do and have expressed mine.

One thing that would keep me in check if I had complaints would be to remember how much I've paid for DD-WRT firmware, and how I should be compensated for services/products I've paid for....oh yeah, I didn't. Well, that settles that issue.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
smapdi wrote:

With 18 posts in 10 years you're not exactly a known quality around here either and you lost points with the childish antics and jerk-ish comments coming off as a jerk yourself for even making them.

When a dick started harassing him by nitpicking about the gpl it was understandable for Kong to quit putting out any public work. I REALLY missed his work since I use the same routers he does and was overjoyed when he finally started putting personal builds up.

I run one Kong R7000 for the wife's network segment that has been up for two months since I last touched it and a R8500 plus pfsense box with another R7000 AP as my network segment/test bed for new builds. They just keep getting better.

Dave

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kong is a good active dev that has communication with the users. unlike too many other software with the worst devs ever out there..

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

smapdi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
smapdi wrote:

With 18 posts in 10 years you're not exactly a known quality around here either and you lost points with the childish antics and jerk-ish comments coming off as a jerk yourself for even making them.

When a dick started harassing him by nitpicking about the gpl it was understandable for Kong to quit putting out any public work. I REALLY missed his work since I use the same routers he does and was overjoyed when he finally started putting personal builds up.

I run one Kong R7000 for the wife's network segment that has been up for two months since I last touched it and a R8500 plus pfsense box with another R7000 AP as my network segment/test bed for new builds. They just keep getting better.

Dave

Real classy reply there Dave. Ad hominem attack and all. Why not take a page out of HalfBit's playbook and answer in a civil tone?

And to back up me calling his antics childish, please tell he how these two posts show how mature he is?

Kong Quits:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=269247
It's a prank?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=269359

A normal adult would just have gone with the second post explaining that he's taking a less active role due to work/family/whatever and be done with it. What he did do was make up some lame excuse about his company telling him to step back and then removing all the archives (did you forget s-f-r-j and slidermike hosting older builds and asking for any backups people may have had?)

Now my initial post was trying to be civil and point out that while both BS and Kong are active developers, I don't recall BS pulling any stunts like Kong has. I still think they're both better Devs than I will ever be and, like I said before, I do appreciate all their hard work.
justlookin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why not leave out the personal attacks and judgements of character and stay on topic?

BTW - < Kong > has my vote for his good work.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
@smapdi
You should be more careful who you attack for no good reason, it's not nice. Would be advisable to inform yourself a bit better before doing so and ponder the consequences of what it may entail...

slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The other useful thing that Kong does which BS does not.
Kong tries (at least for the R7000) to keep the firmware builds to 20mb or so.
To do this he does NOT include Transmission for one.

Otherwise the readme that was posted in the 1st response has for all intents and purposes the most useful factual differences.

Not to nit pick or anything but I do find it amusing that a user (normally a new or newer) will post and ask the same question that has been answered a lot of times previously and possibly (depending upon the question) ad nauseam.
With the declaration that they searched high and low for the answer.
Not dinging you for asking; just making a public observation.
There are some real basic questions that each new person (genuinely does not know) wants an answer to but for whatever reason fails to turn up the result for prior to asking the community.
Anyone who has been around actively for a year or more (and by actively I mean reads the threads cause thats mostly were the nuggets of knowledge are) knows what I am talking about.

Welcome and we look forward to your contributions danne2.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: