Tew-652brp V2.1r DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
jrmezo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06    Post subject: Tew-652brp V2.1r DD-WRT Reply with quote
I have tried flashing the Tew-652 with the file for the 652 listed on this link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F02-03-10-r13832%2F with no sucess. I get a "fail, firmware size error" message. Does my specific version have a smaller memory size causing this error.

I am very confused since I have seen in other threads that many have been succesfull at flashing theirs. Someone smarter than me please help!
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
read:
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Show your work if you want a good grade! Reply with quote
Since you just state the facts so will I. This is not freshman high school math class. I should not have to show my work to prove I am not completly helpless.

None the less let me try and remember some of the steps that I took to get where I am.

First of all I searched this site previous to my purchase of my router. I found that first of all it was dd-wrt supported based on the following link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices. I was also unable to find many others with difficulty flashing this model.

I purchased my tew-652brp brought it home and attmepted to flash it with no luck. Downloaded updated trendnet flash and flashed it successfully. I opened it in a hex editor and discovered that the Hardware ID of RTK-RT8196B-RT-090109-00 instead of the AP81-AR9130-RT-080609-05 which I found in the file that I downloaded or on many of the threads in this site. I dont have any idea what this means except it got me thinking that this model may be different from the ones that everyone else is using. Hence the reason I listed my model number on my original post.

I then Hex edited the file listed on here http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F02-03-10-r13832%2F to match the the RTK-RT8196B-RT-090109-00. Attempting to flash the file from within the trendnet software I received the message "fail, firmware size error". using the 30/30/30 reset rule and the subsequent recovery flash mode I get the standard fail message.

I am no software or hardware developer so my knowledge and experience is limited. I have no idea what I should be doing at this point. My best guess is that I have some sort of new model that is not yet supported or has a more limited amount of memory.

I do not want to be an ass but my intentions where not to ramble on about knowledge, research, and failed attempts. I was intending to provide what I felt was the most relavant information without doing so. Sash please let me know if based on this proof method you feel I am worthy of assistance!!! Thank you in advance for your help. Don't prove me wrong that I think you guys are great!
bloodworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router/model, and was wondering whether it is planned to be supported in the future and what the usual time frame between releases are.
Also, if there i anything I could help with to quicken its support, let me know.
skierinavon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 0:06    Post subject: Problem Confirmed - TEW-652BRP v2.1R Reply with quote
Saturday, 20FEB2010

Tried to upload current (wip ECO directory) firmware for the TEW-652BRP v2.1R Upload failed. Same complaint about file size after attempted upload. TrendNet's orginal firmware still running.

Did TrendNet change their chipset to RealTek?
Does this change make it easier or harder to support for Brainslayer?
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
no realtek cpu support!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53    Post subject: Re: Tew-652brp V2.1r DD-WRT Reply with quote
Have you gone here and checked your router? http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=1361 I was having the same problem until I checked the bottom of my router per the instructions here. This fixed me up. Good luck.

jrmezo wrote:
I have tried flashing the Tew-652 with the file for the 652 listed on this link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F02-03-10-r13832%2F with no sucess. I get a "fail, firmware size error" message. Does my specific version have a smaller memory size causing this error.

I am very confused since I have seen in other threads that many have been succesfull at flashing theirs. Someone smarter than me please help!
adamdb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too have the V2.1R with FCCID: S9ZTEW652BRP2. From research it looks like this has the Realtek CPU in it and that's why I am getting the "Incorrect hardware ID image" message when trying to reflash with the "tew652brp-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin" file.

Is there a work-around for this, or is there another flash available for the Realtek equipped units?
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
adamdb wrote:
I too have the V2.1R with FCCID: S9ZTEW652BRP2. From research it looks like this has the Realtek CPU in it and that's why I am getting the "Incorrect hardware ID image" message when trying to reflash with the "tew652brp-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin" file.

Is there a work-around for this, or is there another flash available for the Realtek equipped units?

DD-WRT has no support for Realtek units.

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
zebraitis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Grrrrr....

Then KINDLY put the fact that the v 2.x of this router is NOT SUPPORTED into the database.

I did my due dilligence, bought 4 of these, and now it's all crap.

Evil or Very Mad

(... what a way to start my morning... harrumph.)

Last edited by zebraitis on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:04; edited 1 time in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
zebraitis wrote:
Grrrrr....

Then KINDLY put the fact that the v 2.x of this router is NOT SUPPORTED into the database.

I did ny due dilligence, bought 4 of these, and now it's all crap.

Evil or Very Mad

diligence but no intelligence.

The router database and the Supported Devices wiki page both states that version 1.0r is the supported model.
Do you really expect someone to make a list of all routers, their versions, and state for each one if they are supported or not?

You shouldn't use dd-wrt, you failed the first test. The reading ability test.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you really expect someone to make a list of all routers, their versions, and state for each one if they are supported or not?

Well, Yes, I do, especally if that is the point of the router database.

I hope that, since you qualify as a DD-WRT "Guru", you may have the ability to add that information.

BTW: Thanks for your remarkably helpful assistance and comment.

Have a nice day.
heartburnkid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was looking at this router, and I'm glad I happened upon this thread before I got it. Good to know that I may not get a flashable router!

Interesting thing... looks like Trendnet has released the firmware for the Realtek model under the GPL:

http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=1360

Any chance the devs could use this to implement Realtek support in DD-WRT?
wanpakumono
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
zebraitis wrote:
Grrrrr....

I did my due dilligence, bought 4 of these, and now it's all crap.

Evil or Very Mad

Due dilligence would include researching what versions of firmware are available from the vendor's website.
I just purchased this same router (cheaply) from an online source. This source did not specify which firmware version the router included. At this point, I knew it was a gamble but purchased one in the hopes it would be a V1. It was not, but I purchased KNOWING this was a possibility. That, to me, it due dilligence. I accepted the risk.
0b0b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 20:47    Post subject: RESULTS first, feelings later (if needed) Reply with quote
so, practically speaking...

if the code is available under GPL, can someone in DEV please respond, whether:

1. they would be willing to take up creating firmware for TrendNET TEW-652BRP v2.1R;

2. they require someone to donate a unit or 2 (am willing to do so);

3. any thoughts on the likely difficulty/timeline;

4. they need guinea pigs (oink here oink), a donation, or anything else that may help.

now that we're done screaming and throwing things, perhaps someone can provide a notion of how we can proceed, or if we should just bag it. have some of these sitting, will return if dd-wrt is not feasible.

thanks oodles.

-0b0b
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: