TP-Link TL-WA701ND (ver 1.1)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
mjwoods
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:31    Post subject: TP-Link TL-WA701ND (ver 1.1) Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have a TP-Link model TL-WA701ND (ver 1.1), which is described as a "150Mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point". The factory firmware is missing some features that I need and DD-WRT provides, so I hope that DD-WRT can be ported to this device.

It appears that OpenWrt boots on the device (with ver 1.0 hardware), as indicated in the following forum discussion (which includes detailed photos):
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=24940

I have collected the information requested on the "Router Support Detection" page. I hope this will help you to build support for my hardware.

FCC-ID: TE7WA701ND
Wireless: Atheros 9285
SDRAM: Zentel A3S56D40FTP-G5
CPU: Atheros AR7240 (?)
Flash: 4MB (?)

I can see the wireless and sdram chips on my circuit board, but the cpu and flash chips are hidden under heatsinks. The CPU model is given in the previously mentioned OpenWrt forum, and I have guessed the amount of flash memory from the size of the firmware images available from TP-Link.

The TL-WA701ND has only one ethernet port, so it may be useful to disable some of the advanced ethernet capabilities of DD-WRT.

I am looking forward to having some decent firmware in this box ... I hope you can help.
Sponsor
overkillthemighty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:53    Post subject: Here Here! Reply with quote
I took mine apart and examined the flash chip. It is made by winbond and appears to be this one: W25Q32BVSSIG. It is hard to read and from what I can make out, that appears to be it. It is 32 Megabit / 8 = 4 megabyte, which meets the min req. for flash on an Atheros board.
The ram appears to be 32 Meg (I found a blog where someone was replacing that module with a 64 meg version and at the end said: "Success! double the ram!" 64 / 2 = 32.
A note as well, this router seems to be exactly like the WR741ND without the 4 extra ports. How difficult is it to port work done for that router? Is there any information I can submit to help the development of this device, as it would be a great WDS client to help with weak coverage spots, they are POE capable, and they are cheap.

I would love to see this supported and would even consider trying myself (though I am a novice at best).
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
do
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-detection

and compare to

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87068

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation